Having a dog in your life brings pleasure — but also responsibility, suggests the Canine Company. Since September is Responsible Dog Ownership Month, the company says, it’s a good time to review whether you are doing all you can for your canine companion.
“Our dogs depend upon us for so much more than just food and shelter,” says Jennifer Hill, president & CEO of Canine Company. “Being a good pet parent requires a lifelong commitment to doing the things that keep your pet healthy, safe and happy.”
You can take this five-question quiz to check your status as a responsible pet owner:
1. Do you make regular visits to the vet? Don’t wait until your dog is sick or injured to visit a veterinarian. A dog needs annual wellness checks and regular vaccination updates. Since dogs age faster than their humans, they’ll need more frequent check-ups to stay healthy, as they get older.
2. Do you give your dog plenty of exercise? Small or large, high energy or couch potato, every dog needs daily exercise for health and wellbeing (just like people). Taking a long walk or making a visit to the dog park in inclement weather isn’t fun, but is part of responsible pet parenting.
3. Do you groom your dog regularly? Regular grooming – brushing, bathing and nail trims – keeps your pet clean, comfortable and nice to be near. It also keeps her skin and coat healthy and enables you to identify potential problems, like parasites, early.
4. Do you practice training commands with your dog? Training has many benefits: it provides intellectual stimulation, gives him a “job” and enhances his bond with you. A dog who gets regular practice is better behaved and happier.
5. Do you keep your dog safe? More than one million dogs are hit by cars and killed every year. Always walk your dog on a leash, and keep your dog confined to your yard with state-of-the-art, electronic fence system.
Canine Company provides at-home pet care products and services including the Invisible Fence brand pet containment systems, Manners at-home obedience training, and Mobile Pet Spa and Pet Visiting services in select markets.