Inherent Resolve Airstrikes Target Islamic State
U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL or ISIS) terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported Tuesday.
Officials reported details of the latest strikes, which took place between 8 a.m. Monday and 8 a.m. Tuesday, local time, noting that assessments of results are based on initial reports.
Airstrikes in Syria
Attack, bomber, fighter and remotely piloted aircraft conducted nine airstrikes in Syria:
– Near Hasakah, seven airstrikes struck five ISIL tactical units, destroying four ISIL vehicles, an ISIL armored personnel carrier and an ISIL tank.
– Near Raqqah, an airstrike struck an ISIL excavator.
– Near Dayr Az Zawr, an airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit, destroying an ISIL vehicle.
Airstrikes in Iraq
Attack, bomber, fighter and remotely piloted aircraft conducted nine airstrikes in Iraq, approved by the Iraqi Ministry of Defense:
– Near Baghdadi, three airstrikes struck land features, denying ISIL a tactical advantage and destroying two ISIL excavators.
– Near Fallujah, an airstrike destroyed an ISIL tunnel system.
– Near Haditha, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit, destroying two ISIL vehicles.
– Near Mosul, two airstrikes struck an ISIL fighting position and an ISIL mortar firing position, destroying an ISIL building.
– Near Waleed, an airstrike destroyed three ISIL armored personnel carriers.
Part of Operation Inherent Resolve
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria, the region, and the wider international community.
The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the terrorist group’s ability to project terror and conduct operations, officials said.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Iraq include the United States, Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Syria include the United States, Bahrain, Canada, Jordan, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.