This is the North Korea’s third test of a ballistic missile of apparent intercontinental range in less than six months and its 20th ballistic missile launch this year.
By Rakesh Raman
As the U.S. has hardly any option to stop North Korea’s nuclear threats, President Donald Trump is largely dependent on China to check Pyongyang’s belligerent behaviour.
Trump said Wednesday that he has spoken with Chinese President Xi Jinping about North Korea’s provocative actions including the latest ballistic missile launch which is stated to be capable of striking the entire U.S. territory.
“Additional major sanctions will be imposed on North Korea today. This situation will be handled!,” Trump stated in his tweet without elaborating his strategy toward North Korea.
Meanwhile, the top United Nations (UN) political affairs official on Wednesday urged Security Council members to unite in preventing an escalation.
Just spoke to President XI JINPING of China concerning the provocative actions of North Korea. Additional major sanctions will be imposed on North Korea today. This situation will be handled!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 29, 2017
“Given the grave risks associated with any military confrontation, in exercise of its primary responsibility the Security Council needs to do all it can to prevent an escalation. Unity in the Security Council is critical,” said Under-Secretary-General for Political Affairs Jeffrey Feltman in an emergency meeting. It was the 13th time the Council had met to discuss the North Korea in 2017.
The UN political chief’s appeal came after Secretary-General António Guterres had “strongly condemned” the ballistic missile launch, which, according to news reports, landed in the Sea of Japan.
A statement issued Tuesday night by Mr. Guterres’ spokesman said: “This is a clear violation of Security Council resolutions and shows complete disregard for the united view of the international community.”
The missile was reportedly launched from an area north of the capital, Pyongyang, covering about 950 kilometres (km) and reaching an apogee of around 4,500 km, before impacting into the sea in Japan’s exclusive economic zone, the UN reported.
Supreme Leader Kim Jong-Un issues warning of catastrophic destruction to be visited upon United States peoples.https://t.co/GJWmTB8TgH
— DPRK News Service (@DPRK_News) November 29, 2017
These parameters indicate that, if flown on a standard trajectory, the missile as configured would have a range in excess of 13,000 km.
This is North Korea’s third test of a ballistic missile of apparent intercontinental range in less than six months and its 20th ballistic missile launch this year.
The official media claimed the North Korea was now “capable of striking the whole mainland of the U.S.” and that the North Korea had “finally realized the great historic cause of completing the state nuclear force, the cause of building a rocket power.”
By Rakesh Raman, who is a government’s National award-winning journalist and social activist. He has formed an environment-protection group called Green Group in Delhi. Earlier, he had been associated with the United Nations (UN) through United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) as a digital media expert to help businesses use technology for brand marketing and business development. He also runs a free school for deserving children under his NGO – RMN Foundation.