Syrian Violence Continues Despite Peace Promise

Despite Syrian Government’s commitment to UN-Arab League envoy Kofi Annan to withdraw troops by April 10, state violence continues in Syria.

The Joint Special Envoy of the United Nations (UN) and the League of Arab States, Kofi Annan (pictured above) stressed the escalation of violence in Syria is “unacceptable”, and called on the Government to withdraw troops and cease all hostilities.

“I am shocked by recent reports of a surge in violence and atrocities in several towns and villages in Syria, resulting in alarming levels of casualties, refugees and displaced persons, in violation of assurances given to me,” Annan said in a statement.

On Monday, April 2, the Syrian Government had told Annan that it would complete the withdrawal of troops by April 10.

[ Also Read: Syria Accepts Kofi Annan’s Peace Plan ]

Annan informed the General Assembly that, as agreed with the Syrian authorities, a UN team had arrived in the country to start technical preparations for the potential deployment of observers to monitor a cessation of armed violence, and the full implementation of his six-point peace plan.

“As we get closer to the Tuesday, April 10, deadline, I remind the Syrian Government of the need for full implementation of its commitments and stress that the present escalation of violence is unacceptable,” Annan said.

“I once again call upon both the Government and the opposition to cease all forms of violence by 06:00 Damascus time Thursday, April 12,” he added.

Annan said he was in constant contact with the Syrian Government and asked all States with influence on the parties “to use it now to ensure an end to the bloodshed and the beginning of dialogue.”

Meanwhile, UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon stressed that the April 10 timeline, “is not an excuse for continued killing,” adding that this violates the consensus position of the Security Council for a peaceful political settlement to the crisis to be ushered in by the full implementation of Annan’s six-point proposal.

Annan’s proposal, which was submitted during his visit to Damascus last month, seeks to stop the violence and the killing, give access to humanitarian agencies, release detainees, and kick-start an inclusive political dialogue.

The UN estimates that more than 8,000 people, mostly civilians, have been killed, and tens of thousands have been displaced since the protests in Syria – part of the broader Arab Spring movement across North Africa and the Middle East – began in March last year.

Photo courtesy: UN

Related posts:


Discovery Familia to Woo Hispanic Moms
RealTick Offers RealTick 10 Trading Platform
DreamWorks to Capture Monkeys of Bollywood
Get Ready to Taste the Indian Tablet Beetel Magiq
Wilson Golf Introduces New Golf Equipment
Now the 4-Piece Bikini at Lands’ End
Comedy Central’s Triptank Series on Animated Shorts
Enemy of the Enemy is Friend for Congress
Dems and Reps Divided on 2014 Economic Prospects
Target Offers New Tracks on “Shakira”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*


*

HTML tags are not allowed.