Despite the harsh economic climate, 31 percent anticipate they will spend more on leisure travel next year, while 49 percent expect to spend the same amount as they did in 2011.
TripAdvisor, a leading travel site, announced Tuesday the results of its annual travel trends survey of more than 2,700 U.S. travelers.
Seventy-nine percent of respondents plan to spend a minimum of $3,000 on vacations in the coming year, 57 percent will pay out at least $5,000 and 21 percent will invest $10,000 or more on 2012 leisure travel.
Ninety percent of respondents are planning to take two or more leisure trips next year, and 24 percent are planning five or more getaways.
Top Trip Picks Travelers are Planning for 2012
- Beach trip – 44%
- Cultural trip (e.g., visiting museums or historic sites) – 42%
- Road trip – 40%
- City trip – 36%
- Guys or girlfriends getaway – 24%
The Hotspot List: Destinations in Americans’ Sights
- Sixty-eight percent plan to travel outside the U.S. in 2012 and among these globetrotters, 54 percent will visit Europe, 52 percent will go to a North American destination outside the U.S. (such as Canada or Mexico), and 12 percent will travel to Asia.
- The top three international cities U.S. travelers plan to visit are Paris, London and Rome.
- The top three U.S. cities for 2012 are New York City, Las Vegas and San Francisco.
Mobile Devices: A “Go To” Travel Resource in 2012
- 44 percent of U.S. travelers plan on using their mobile phone or smartphone more as a travel resource during trips in 2012.
- 47 percent expect to use their mobile device for their travel needs at their destination.
- 37 percent will use a mobile device for restaurants research, 27 percent will use one for attractions research, and 26 percent will use one for accommodations research.
- 31 percent plan to use travel apps on their mobile device or smartphone in 2012.
- 16 percent plan to use travel apps on their tablet devices.
Top Eco-friendly Travel Actions for 2012
- Participating in a hotel’s linen or towel re-use program – 71%
- Switching off the air-conditioning or heat when leaving the hotel room – 51%
- Select a hotel specifically for its “green” or environmentally conscious credentials – 12%
“U.S. travelers will be spreading their wings far and wide in 2012, with 68 percent planning international trips,” said Karen Drake, senior director of communications for TripAdvisor.
“Sun and sand remain an enduringly popular choice, but the coming year will also see a renewed interest in cultural trips, as Americans seek to combine precious downtime with enriching experiences.”