While overall sexual satisfaction in America remains high, researchers found a great deal of variability in satisfaction based on relationship status. In fact, married couples reported much higher satisfaction rates (82 percent married, 71 percent single) while singles reported higher sexual frequency (130 times per year single, 109 times per year among married couples).
Household relationships, gender preferences and population penetration aren’t exclusive to the U.S. Census – new findings released Tuesday, June 14, as part of the Trojan U.S. SEX CENSUS uncovers that the sexual habits are just as multiplied and diverse as the population.
On a national level, the survey finds that the average American (18 and over) has sex 120 times a year (2.3 times per week), and reports very high levels of sexual satisfaction (76 percent satisfied). Despite the high findings, sixty-three percent of respondents still wish they were having sex more frequently.
The geography of American sexuality points to a decidedly northeasterly trend in sexual frequency. Indeed people in the Northeast report having more sex than any other U.S. region, averaging 130 times per year (2.5 times per week), compared to the Midwest (125 times per year / 2.4 times per week), West (120 times per year / 2.3 times per week) and South (114 times per year / 2.1 times per week). When it comes to practicing safe sex, Northeasterners (43 percent) are more likely to report using a condom during sexual activity.
Researchers find residents of metropolitan centers like Los Angeles and Houston are having the most sex per year, 135 times and 125 times respectively, while residents of Philadelphia and Dallas have the least, 99 and 104 times each.
Despite low levels of sexual frequency, Philadelphians report very high rates of sexual satisfaction (82 percent satisfied), followed by New York (81 percent satisfied) and Atlanta (80 percent satisfied). San Francisco (70 percent satisfied), Boston (73 percent satisfied), Los Angeles (75 percent satisfied) and Chicago (75 percent satisfied) reported the lowest levels of satisfaction.
Meanwhile, national data on sexual exploration and preferences indicated overall high levels of sexual satisfaction, with seventy-six percent of Americans stating to be satisfied by their sex lives and eighty-five percent having experienced an orgasm.
From sexual fantasies to vibrators, seventy-four percent of Americans are experimenting with sex and embracing ways to enhance the sexual experience for themselves and their partners.
Across the four U.S. Census regions, the most sexually exciting place Americans have had sex is in a car (48 percent), followed by sex in someone else’s bed (33 percent).
When asked where they would like to have sex but have not yet tried, thirty-three percent of men said sex on a plane and twenty-six percent of women said sex on a beach/sea.
The survey shows that men (83 percent) are certainly more willing to experiment as compared to women (65 percent), which may explain why men are more likely to describe themselves as sexually liberal (31 percent) versus women (16 percent).
- Men are more likely to report they enjoy both oral and penetrative sex equally (50 percent) compared to thirty-two percent of females
- Seventy-one percent of men want more sex compared to fifty-five percent of females
- The majority (85 percent) of men indicated that they had purchased a condom compared to only about one-half (51 percent) of women.
- Men’s favorite sex positions are missionary (27 percent), followed by doggy style (24 percent); Females report missionary (45 percent) and reverse missionary (13 percent) as their top sex position
- Men are more likely to discuss their sex life on Facebook or Twitter (15 percent) compared to women (6 percent)
- More than seventy percent of Americans believe hooking up is having sex with someone outside of a relationship, with forty percent of women saying they were against hooking up compared to only about one-quarter (22 percent) of men
From downloading with friends to uploading on Facebook, Americans are open to talking about sex both on- and off-line.
- 19 percent of Americans have engaged in sexting and 19 percent have had online sex
- 18 percent have had sex with someone they met over the internet
- 10 percent have discussed sex on Facebook and/or Twitter
- Americans are open to talking to their friends about sex, with 47 percent talking about sex with friends of the same gender and 28 percent talking to friends of the opposite gender
“With the Trojan SEX CENSUS, we took the 2010 U.S. Census a step beyond the demographic landscape. It’s clear that Americans are sexually diverse and strive to achieve full satisfaction in the bedroom,” said Bruce Tetreault, group product manager of Trojan sexual health products.
“With Trojan sexual health products, we pride ourselves on providing many options to meet those needs and increase the pleasure factor in the bedroom. From vibrations to a wide variety of condoms, there’s an option for everyone.”
The Sex Census presented by Trojan condoms is based on two studies conducted by StrategyOne from March 15-21, 2011. The first, a national sample of 1,000 10-minute surveys were conducted online among U.S. Adults 18+. The results are nationally representative based on the U.S. Census indicators.
The second is a study conducted online in ten major U.S. cities among Adults 18+. The cities are: New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston, San Francisco, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Washington D.C. Atlanta, and Houston. A total of 2,000 10-minute surveys were conducted.
Support Independent Fearless Journalism
In today's media world controlled by corporates and politicians, it is extremely difficult for independent editorial voices to survive. RMN News Service has been maintaining editorial freedom and offering objective content for the past 10 years despite enormous pressures and extreme threats.
In order to serve you fearlessly in this cut-throat world, RMN News Service urges you to support us financially with your donations. You can choose the amount that you want to donate from the options given below.
You also can select any of the Payment Methods:
Offline Donation: To know our bank details for online bank transfer and payment by cheque in Indian rupees.
PayPal: To make payment by Credit / Debit Card or PayPal account.