Entertainment company Comcast Corporation has unveiled its new Xfinity TV app, which will enable Xfinity TV digital customers to watch TV shows and movies directly on the iPad either at home or on-the-go in the coming weeks.
The Xfinity TV app is a TV guide and a mobile video player all in one. It enables customers to change TV channels from the iPad and helps them to search and instantly find what to watch among thousands of choices – including top movies and premium cable shows – on TV, On Demand, online or on the iPad.[ Also Read: Google Makes Web a New Channel for Your TV ]
With a similar offer, Netflix has introduced its free Netflix App for iPhone and iPod touch, allowing Netflix members on plans starting at $8.99 a month to instantly watch TV episodes and movies streamed to their iPhone or iPod touch. (Read: Watching TV Episodes, Movies on Your iPhone)
As iPad is increasingly being used by companies to deliver high-end entertainment, the first full episode of the multi-part series Circus premiered on PBS for iPad.
The episode was made available for streaming in advance of the broadcast premiere, according to Public Broadcasting Service (PBS). (Read: Circus to Premiere on PBS for iPad)[ Also Read: History Here App for Windows Phone 7 ]
Demonstrated Monday, Nov. 15, at the Web 2.0 conference in San Francisco, the first version of the Xfinity TV app will be available on the iTunes Store this week and is free to Comcast digital customers.
With it, customers will be able to:
- Browse and discover video content from either TV listings or selections from the On Demand library in a rich user interface with colorful poster art and details.
- Use it as a TV guide so, in just a few finger taps, users can find what to watch by reviewing their TV listings and change the channel in real time.
- Program their DVRs to record TV shows, series and movies so they never miss their favorites.
- Sort content based on different filters like Networks and Genres such as Movies, Kids, Sports, or by HD content.
- Search by keyword or by title A-Z in TV listings or On Demand.
- Watch movies and TV shows directly on the iPad anytime, anywhere (coming in December).
- Personalize viewing with a “MyTV” feature to create a “Watchlist” of favorite TV shows and movies (coming soon).
- Seamlessly access social networking sites to share what they’re watching with others (coming soon).
“This Xfinity TV app is part of a much larger effort to reinvent the way consumers interact with their televisions by transforming the way they search, navigate, discover and share entertainment,” said Neil Smit, president of Comcast Cable.
“The remote control hasn’t changed in years and this app will enable millions of consumers to instantly search thousands of live TV and On Demand choices and also watch the best content whenever and wherever they want.”
To learn more about the iPad app, you can visit www.xfinity.com/tvapp.