As part of the nationwide U.S. survey with 60,000 shoppers conducted by TNS, Product of the Year award winners receive a research study providing the latest insights into the mind of today’s consumer.
According to this survey, 80 percent of consumers are willing to try new products while 68 percent of shoppers say a consumer voted award means more for a new product than an expert’s opinion.
Recommendations from friends or family positively impacts purchase interest amongst close to half the population.
“Even though modern-day consumers are tasked with deciding which products to use on a regular basis, shoppers are willing to trust their peers when it comes to trying new products that provide great value,” said Herb Sorensen, TNS scientific advisor for Global Retail & Shopper Practice.
“The Product of the Year seal is a giant recommendation to consumers, by consumers.”
Hosted in 28 countries, Product of the Year is the world’s leading consumer-voted program that recognizes innovation in consumer packaged goods.
The year 2011 marks the third annual round of Product of the Year in the United States with over 60,000 American shoppers voting on products in a survey conducted by TNS, a custom research agency.
The following products were voted Product of the Year in their category:
- PERSONAL CARE – Speed Stick and Lady Speed Stick Stainguard Antiperspirant Deodorant – Colgate-Palmolive Company
- TOOTHPASTE – Aquafresh iso-active Whitening – GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare
- MOUTHWASH – LISTERINE ZERO, Johnson & Johnson Healthcare Products Division of McNEIL-PPC, Inc.
- FEMININE PRODUCTS – U by Kotex – Kimberly-Clark Corporation
- CANDY & SNACKS – M&M’S Pretzel Chocolate Candies – Mars Chocolate North America
- FROZEN FOOD – Lean Cuisine Market Creations – Nestle USA
- SPECIALTY FOODS – BUITONI Riserva Frozen Complete Meals for Two – Nestle USA
- COOKING SPICES – Recipe Inspirations – McCormick & Company, Inc.
- BEVERAGE – Lipton Brisk – Pepsi-Lipton Partnership
- HAIR CARE – Pantene Pro-V Customized Solutions – Procter & Gamble
- HAIR STYLING – Pantene Pro-V Customized Solutions Stylers & Treatments – Procter & Gamble
- BABY CARE – Pampers Cruisers & Swaddlers – Procter & Gamble
- MALE GROOMING – Gillette Fusion ProGlide Power Razor – Procter & Gamble
- AIR CARE – Air Wick Air Freshener – Reckitt Benckiser
- PERSONAL HYGIENE – LYSOL Healthy Touch No-Touch Hand Soap System – Reckitt Benckiser
- BREAKFAST – Jimmy Dean Hearty Sausage Crumbles – Sara Lee
- COOKING – Olivari Mediterranean Olive Oil – Sovena USA
- INSECTICIDE – Raid Max Bug Barrier – S.C. Johnson & Son, Inc.
- PET FOOD – TEMPTATIONS MixUps Treats for Cats- Mars Petcare U.S.
- PET HEALTH – GREENIES JointCare Treats – The Nutro Company
- COSMETICS – MD Lash Factor Eyelash Conditioner – La Canada Ventures, Inc.
- AT HOME BEAUTY TREATMENT – no!no! Hair 8800 – Radiancy, Inc.
Shoppers in the U.S. will be able to recognize the winners starting in February of this year by looking for the red ‘Product of the Year’ stamp on packaging, in advertising and in-store displays.
Last year’s winners included products from Coca-Cola, S.C. Johnson, Tide, Clairol and Sprite among others who promoted their wins by wearing the red stamp.
The product list was released today, Feb. 9.