5 Out of 10 Urban Indians Are Trying to Lose Weight: Survey

Lose Weight: Survey
Lose Weight: Survey

A recent survey conducted by Fitho, a leading wellness services organization, showed that along with increasing weight, there is also increasing awareness and 5 out of 10 urban Indians are trying to lose weight.

While 40% of the overweight people have intent to lose weight but are not taking action to control their weight, the remaining 60% are making an effort to lose weight.

The survey revealed that looking good, keeping fit and staying confident are the major reasons for the women and men under 35 to lose weight, while people aged over 35 and the heavily overweight (BMI>25 kg/m2) are doing it primarily for a better health.

[ Also Read: How e-Health Access Uses Technology to Provide Health Care ]

The survey covered 4100 people from different cities and towns in India. They were asked about their health conditions, food habit, reasons for trying to lose weight, and how they were trying it.

As the participants (46% men, 54% women, age: 18-75) shared their lifestyle, interesting figures showed up. While the level of obesity in urban India is steadily rising, the awareness and efforts reflect people’s understanding of the health threats that obesity poses.

Lose Weight: Survey
Lose Weight: Survey

The survey further revealed that the most commonly used tools to control weight loss were diet control, walking, yoga and gym exercises.

“While many findings in the survey correlated with estimates around the obesity levels in India and their impact on people’s health through lifestyle disorders, it was very interesting to note motivational factors for people, and their health habits.” said Fitho founder, Dhruv Gupta.

“For example, 1/4th of the people don’t have any mid-day snack, and 14% ate fried food during the day as their mid-day snack. There was a ton of information that will help us improve weight management programs for people.”

Fitho Wellness is a leading digital wellness services company, providing personalized weight management programs through its website and Android mobile application.

Photo courtesy: Fitho

Support RMN News Service for Independent Fearless Journalism

In today’s media world controlled by corporates and politicians, it is extremely difficult for independent editorial voices to survive. Raman Media Network (RMN) News Service has been maintaining editorial freedom and offering objective content for the past more than 12 years despite enormous pressures and extreme threats. In order to serve you fearlessly in this cut-throat world, RMN News Service urges you to support us financially with your donations. You may please click here and choose the amount that you want to donate. Thank You. Rakesh Raman, Editor, RMN News Service.

RMN News

Rakesh Raman