Family Vacation Critic Chooses Top 10 Beaches
Family Vacation Critic, a family travel review site, has announced its annual list of the “Best U.S. Beaches for Families.”
According to editor, Lissa Poirot, “When picking this year’s list, we were looking for beaches recognized for their cleanliness, as well as those that provide safe water for young swimmers and plenty of activities for families, within a close walk from the beach.”
The top five beaches for families include:
1. Walmanalo Bay Beach Park, Oahu, HI: One of the cleanest beaches in the country, and far removed from the crowded beaches of Waikiki. Soft sand, calm waters for tiny swimmers, and manageable waves for new surfers.
2. Outer Beach, Cape Cod, MA: The Cape Cod National Seashore offers 40 miles of untouched beaches, and is an idyllic setting where families can enjoy the long bike rides, mini golf and clam bakes that keep families coming back year after year.
3. Deerfield Beach, Near Fort Lauderdale, FL: Recognized for being an exceptionally clean beach, its stretches of sand are dotted with oversized boulders that create private pockets for beachgoers.
4. Sand Beach, Acadia National Park, ME: Known for its breathtaking and unspoiled beauty, Acadia’s Sand beach is among the cleanest in the country and the park provides plenty to explore beyond the beach.
5. Cape Hatteras National Seashore, Outer Banks, NC: Wide and uncluttered beaches line warm waters and plenty of places for families to play. As a preserved area, wildlife refuges, lighthouses and camping areas provide even more fun.
Other winning beaches include:
6. Shell Beaches, Padre Island National Seashore, TX
7. Coronado Beach, San Diego, CA
8. Siesta Beach, Sarasota, FL
9. Rehoboth Beach, DE
10. Sunset Beach, Cape May, NJ
The above list was released today, March 19.
Family Vacation Critic features reviews of family-friendly resorts and hotels, as well as family travel deals and destination guides for planning kid-friendly vacations. The site also provides a forum for swapping tips on all aspects of traveling with kids.
Family Vacation Critic was launched in June 2009 by The Independent Traveler, Inc., a subsidiary of TripAdvisor, Inc.
Photo courtesy: Family Vacation Critic
Correction done on March 21: On company’s request, we have removed “Elbo Beach” from the Acadia listing (#4) above, and instead just included Sand Beach.