Vegetarians and interested individuals from around the globe will be joining the North American Vegetarian Society on October 1, 2012, for the annual celebration of World Vegetarian Day.
This event was founded by the North American Vegetarian Day in 1977. It commemorates the health-supporting and life affirming benefits of vegetarianism. World Vegetarian Day is the annual kick-off of Vegetarian Awareness Month.
There are many reasons people choose a vegetarian diet. It has proven health benefits, saves animals’ lives and helps to preserve the Earth.
- Reduce the risk of major killers such as heart disease, stroke and cancer while cutting exposure to foodborne pathogens
- Provide a viable answer to feeding the world’s hungry through more efficient use of grains and other crops
- Save animals from suffering as a result of farming practices and from the pain and terror of slaughter
- Conserve vital but limited freshwater, fertile topsoil and other precious resources
- Preserve irreplaceable ecosystems such as rainforests and other wildlife habitats
- Decrease greenhouse gases that are accelerating climate change
To encourage non-vegetarians to give meatless eating a try, the North American Vegetarian Society has developed a prize-winning contest.
Non-vegetarians who pledge to abstain from all meat, fish and fowl during Vegetarian Awareness Month (October) will be entered in a random drawing for cash prizes. The top winner will get $1000 in cash.
One winner will be chosen in each of the following three categories: One day $250 — One week $500 — One month $1,000.
People can enter the “Vegetarian Pledge” contest online at worldvegetarianday.org
Support Independent Fearless Journalism
In today's media world controlled by corporates and politicians, it is extremely difficult for independent editorial voices to survive. RMN News Service has been maintaining editorial freedom and offering objective content for the past 10 years despite enormous pressures and extreme threats.
In order to serve you fearlessly in this cut-throat world, RMN News Service urges you to support us financially with your donations. You can choose the amount that you want to donate from the options given below.
You also can select any of the Payment Methods:
Offline Donation: To know our bank details for online bank transfer and payment by cheque in Indian rupees.
PayPal: To make payment by Credit / Debit Card or PayPal account.