7 Food Groups That Promise to Keep You Healthy
The Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations suggests that it is everyone’s responsibility to stay healthy. Here are the different ingredients, or main food groups, that make up a healthy diet.
1. Fruits and vegetables give us vitamins, minerals, fibre and natural sugars. You should eat as many seasonal fruit and vegetables as possible every day.
2. Cereals are everything made from wheat, rice, oats, maize, barley or other grains. They are called ‘staple’ foods as they are eaten every day. They contain carbohydrates, which are your main source of energy.
3. Tubers and plantains include potatoes, yams, sweet potatoes, cassava, and malanga, and they too are a source of carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals. Plantains (like bananas but not very sweet) are also an important staple food in many countries.
4. Legumes and nuts are crucial sources of proteins. They come from plants, cost less than other protein-rich foods, are high in fibre, low in fat, and have other key minerals and vitamins.
5. Dairy products are all made from milk (cow, goat, sheep, buffalo, camel, yak, horse and even moose) and include milk, cheese, yoghurt, curd, and buttermilk. They have plenty of calcium, protein and fat.
6. Meat, fish and eggs contain iron and proteins, which are what make you strong and help to fix your body when you get hurt.
7. Fats and oils help our bodies to stay healthy, but only if they’re the right kind. Choose vegetable oils, nut butters and avocado over fats in meat, butter, cream, or palm oil, and avoid fried or processed foods high in unhealthy fats.
Support Independent Fearless Journalism
In today's media world controlled by corporates and politicians, it is extremely difficult for independent editorial voices to survive. RMN News Service has been maintaining editorial freedom and offering objective content for the past 10 years despite enormous pressures and extreme threats.
In order to serve you fearlessly in this cut-throat world, RMN News Service urges you to support us financially with your donations. You can choose the amount that you want to donate from the options given below.
You also can select any of the Payment Methods:
Offline Donation: To know our bank details for online bank transfer and payment by cheque in Indian rupees.
PayPal: To make payment by Credit / Debit Card or PayPal account.