Vlingo answers with ‘Vlingo InCar.’ It is claimed to be the first and only hands-free solution to send and respond to messages, make calls, and get directions while driving.
Last month, Boston-based AdelaVoice had launched a similar service StartTalking, which is also claimed to be the world’s first smartphone application that lets motorists keep their eyes on the road and hands upon the wheel. (Read: Talk to Your Mobile for Texting While Driving)
Vlingo Corporation, a leading provider of voice applications, announced Thursday (Oct. 7) “Vlingo InCar,” a new beta feature for Android users.
“Vlingo InCar was a natural extension of Vlingo’s functionality so that users can now have an alternative, hands free way to communicate when they need to respond to an urgent message,” said Dave Grannan, president and CEO at Vlingo.
“Although 30 (U.S.) states presently have full or partial bans on texting while driving (TWD), data from Vlingo’s Texting While Driving in America 2010 Report shows that 35% of those surveyed still continue to TWD. Legislative action is an important step but clearly laws are not enough, we are going to need technology solutions.”
This latest release of Vlingo also includes a new feature called “Vlingo Answers” that enables users to speak into their device to ask a question, in any form, and have the answer read to them, out loud, immediately.
In addition to InCar, the company says, Vlingo can handle other tasks on Android devices. Users can press the “Vlingo widget” to:
- Send text and email messages
- Search the web using Google or Yahoo!
- Update Facebook and Twitter status
- Open built-in and 3rd party applications
- Speak into any application with the Vlingo Everywhere voice keyboard
- SafeReader – hear incoming text & email messages while you drive
- SuperDialer – one-click calling to an infinite address book, and reviews, maps and directions for any business.
- Foursquare – check in, connect with friends, or shout out an update on foursquare.
Vlingo is available free of charge for Android 2.1, and above. Vlingo InCar beta is exclusively available on the Sprint Now Network and is optimized for the HTC Evo and other Android 2.2 devices.
U.S. users can download Vlingo on device from the Android Market for free.