The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has announced that 11 distinct scientific and technical investigations have been launched for the 2017 Oscars.
These investigations are made public so individuals and companies with devices or claims of innovation within these areas will have the opportunity to submit achievements for review.
The deadline to submit additional entries is Tuesday, August 15, at 5 p.m. PT. The Academy’s Scientific and Technical Awards Committee has started investigations into the following areas:
- Systems using multiple, stabilized, synced cameras to capture background footage, with integrated playback for simulating movement in static vehicles
- Submersible, telescoping camera cranes
- Automated systems for cinema auditorium quality control
- Systems for onset digital dailies with color managed workflows
- Systems for onboard RAW recording for digital cinema cameras
- Gyroscopically stabilized camera platforms for aerial cinematography
- Systems for modular character rigging enabling large scale, complex, high quality 3D digital character animation
- Systems for digital storyboarding and story reel development
- Efficient systems for interactive animation of large numbers of high-resolution 3D characters with full surface detail
- Single surface audio platforms for automated dialogue replacement (ADR).
- Software applications to synthesize complex sound scenes from a limited set of source elements
Claims of prior art or similar technology must be submitted online.
After thorough investigations are conducted in each of the technology categories, the committee will meet in November to vote on recommendations to the Academy’s Board of Governors, which will make the final awards decisions.
The 2017 Scientific and Technical Awards Presentation will be held on Saturday, February 10, 2018.
The 90th Oscars will be held on Sunday, March 4, 2018, at the Dolby Theatre at Hollywood & Highland Center in Hollywood, and will be televised live on the ABC Television Network at 7 p.m. ET/4 p.m. PT. The Oscars also will be televised live in more than 225 countries and territories worldwide.
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences is a global community of more than 8,000 of the most accomplished artists, filmmakers and executives working in film.
In addition to celebrating and recognizing excellence in filmmaking through the Oscars, the Academy supports a wide range of initiatives to promote the art and science of the movies, including public programming, educational outreach and the upcoming Academy Museum of Motion Pictures, which is under construction in Los Angeles.
Photo courtesy: The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences
Support Independent Fearless Journalism
In today's media world controlled by corporates and politicians, it is extremely difficult for independent editorial voices to survive. RMN News Service has been maintaining editorial freedom and offering objective content for the past 10 years despite enormous pressures and extreme threats.
In order to serve you fearlessly in this cut-throat world, RMN News Service urges you to support us financially with your donations. You can choose the amount that you want to donate from the options given below.
You also can select any of the Payment Methods:
Offline Donation: To know our bank details for online bank transfer and payment by cheque in Indian rupees.
PayPal: To make payment by Credit / Debit Card or PayPal account.