Global anti-corruption research organization Transparency International has compiled a list of some of the biggest corruption scandals over the past 25 years that it says inspired widespread public condemnation, toppled governments, and sent people to prison.
According to Transparency, these scandals involve politicians across political parties and from the highest reaches of government, staggering amounts of bribes and money laundering of epic proportions.
|Download All Issues of The Integrity Bulletin|
|October 2018||November 2018||December 2018||January 2019|
|February 2019||March 2019||April 2019||May 2019|
|June 2019||July 2019||August 2019|
In the wake of many of these scandals, many governments and international bodies committed to or implemented anti-corruption reforms, counted and, in some cases, recovered losses.
1. Siemens: corruption made in Germany
2. Draining Nigeria of its assets
3. Fujimori’s Peru: death squads, embezzlement and good public relations
4. Kadyrov’s Chechnya: bikers, boxers, bribes
5. Shutting down competition in Tunisia
6. Ukraine’s missing millions
7. Ricardo Martinelli’s spy-game in Panama
8. The 1MDB fund: from Malaysia to Hollywood
9. The Russian Laundromat (with a little help from Moldova)
10. Spain’s largest corruption scandal: Gürtel
11. Venezuela’s currencies of corruption
12. The Panama Papers
13. Maldives: a paradise lost
14. Teodorín Obiang’s #LuxuryLiving in Equatorial Guinea
15. How the Gupta family captured South Africa through bribery
16. Lebanon’s garbage: the stench of corruption
17. FIFA’s football parallel universe
18. Myanmar’s dirty jade business
19. Fighting impunity in Guatemala
20. Turkey’s “gas for gold” scheme
21. The Azerbaijani Laundromat
22. Paradise Papers: where the rich & powerful hide their money
23. Operation Lava Jato: clean cars, dirty money
24. The Troika Laundromat
25. Andrej Babiš’s conflict of interest in Czechia
While much progress has been made to improve accountability, raise awareness about how corruption happens, and change norms and perceptions, Transparency says we still have a long way to go to learn from these scandals and fight corruption effectively.
Support Independent Fearless Journalism
In today's media world controlled by corporates and politicians, it is extremely difficult for independent editorial voices to survive. RMN News Service has been maintaining editorial freedom and offering objective content for the past 10 years despite enormous pressures and extreme threats.
In order to serve you fearlessly in this cut-throat world, RMN News Service urges you to support us financially with your donations. You can choose the amount that you want to donate from the options given below.
You also can select any of the Payment Methods:
Offline Donation: To know our bank details for online bank transfer and payment by cheque in Indian rupees.
PayPal: To make payment by Credit / Debit Card or PayPal account.