In addition to surpassing the $1 billion sales milestone in just six weeks, Treyarch’s Call of Duty: Black Ops from Activision Publishing is also setting online usage records that illustrate how the game has become one of the leading global entertainment experiences.
Indicators such as social media, time spent online playing and retail sell through of Call of Duty: Black Ops are just a few of the signs pointing to an online phenomenon that took hold with the game’s debut last month, informed Activision Friday, Dec. 24.
Last month, to celebrate the Nov. 9 worldwide launch of Call of Duty: Black Ops, Activision Publishing held a star-studded event headlined by GRAMMY-Award winning band Metallica.
It was hosted by Zach Braff at Hangar 8 in Santa Monica to benefit The Call of Duty Endowment. (Read: Call of Duty: Black Ops to Help Veterans)
The number of registered players exceeds the populations of such countries as Austria, Belgium, Chile, Greece, Ireland, Portugal, Sweden and The Netherlands.[ Also Read: Awards for the Best and Beautiful in Games ]
According to Activision, the total number of registered Call of Duty: Black Ops players:
- Is greater than the audiences that watched Jay Leno, David Letterman, Jimmy Fallon, Jimmy Kimmel, Conan O’Brien and Craig Ferguson in the U.S. for the entire week of Dec. 6, 2010, combined.
- Exceeds the audience for the series finale of ABC’s Lost.
- Trumps the average viewership for the 2010 Major League Baseball World Series.
- Exceeds the combined audited circulation numbers for Entertainment Weekly, Rolling Stone, Playboy, GQ, Maxim, Newsweek, Time, ESPN The Magazine and Sports Illustrated.
- Would be the third largest state in the U.S.
Since its launch on November 9, Call of Duty: Black Ops players:
- Have played more than 600 million hours, or the equivalent of more than 68,000 years.
- Have turned out in numbers that could fill the 83 largest stadiums in the world, every day.
- Have spent an average of 87 minutes per day playing online, exceeding the 55 minute average that the average user spends on Facebook.
- Have made Call of Duty: Black Ops a top-five trending topic on Twitter, putting it on par with The Grammy Awards, Diego Maradona, The Chilean Miner’s Rescue, The Boston Celtics and Mel Gibson.
“Media is evolving and today the social aspects of technology are more important to the overall entertainment experience than ever before,” said Bobby Kotick, CEO of Activision Blizzard.
“Call of Duty creates a shared sense of identify for its community and is as integral to their social lives as any other form of digital communication.”
Call of Duty: Black Ops is rated “M” (Mature) by the ESRB for Blood and Gore, Intense Violence and Language.
Headquartered in Santa Monica, California, Activision Publishing, Inc. is a leading worldwide developer, publisher and distributor of interactive entertainment and leisure products.
Photo courtesy: Activision Publishing
Support Independent Fearless Journalism
In today's media world controlled by corporates and politicians, it is extremely difficult for independent editorial voices to survive. RMN News Service has been maintaining editorial freedom and offering objective content for the past 10 years despite enormous pressures and extreme threats.
In order to serve you fearlessly in this cut-throat world, RMN News Service urges you to support us financially with your donations. You can choose the amount that you want to donate from the options given below.
You also can select any of the Payment Methods:
Offline Donation: To know our bank details for online bank transfer and payment by cheque in Indian rupees.
PayPal: To make payment by Credit / Debit Card or PayPal account.